Happy May, everyone! So I know this’ll be another long one, but here’s what I’ve been up to lately, and the goals I hope to achieve this month!
I will admit, coming up to May was a little stress-inducing for me with it being the first anniversary of the wildfire that turned our world upside down last year. I found it really hard to be on Facebook and Twitter from about the middle of the last week of April until pretty much now. They were both filled with images of the day we had to pack up and leave, not knowing if we’d ever see our home again.
The peak of course was the official anniversary on Wednesday. The Wildfire Recovery team put together an amazing dawn-to-dusk community gathering to recognize the anniversary and I worked at the welcome booth. Chris brought Lil’ Ziggy down to the gathering after he was done work as well and we had dinner there. The event itself was one of the most chill and relaxed events I’ve ever been a part of, and I hope that it proved to be a healing experience for many. I still stayed off social media for the most part on Thursday as all the follow-up stories were being published.
Happy Birthday to Us
Since I last posted on here, we celebrated two birthdays in the family: Lil’ Ziggy’s second birthday in March (!) and my 31st birthday in April. We didn’t have a real birthday party for Ziggy, but we had my good friend and Ziggy’s “Auntie” Ashley over for pizza and cake, which Zig proceeded to pretty much swallow whole. I recorded his cake-eating abilities on my Instagram and it’s pretty darned cute.
My birthday, on the other hand, was total rager! I’m just kidding. In reality, we were all sick that weekend so we didn’t do much of anything. Womp womp!
Getting On The Healthy Train
I’ve been meal-prepping for breakfasts and lunches, which is a big thing for me. Normally I’d have to buy both breakfast and lunch at work, which is an expensive (and not very healthy) habit. In the last week of April I had either a smoothie or banana and toast at home before leaving for work, and I made chicken burrito bowls for lunch. They turned out mostly well but the grape tomatoes got rather soft by the end of the week, so I mostly just ate the chicken, black beans and rice. I had a few cheat moments too but I figure, little changes.
This week I made some smoothies that can be frozen in mason jars and taken out when needed, but I’ve found that they don’t thaw enough for me to drink until about noon. I also continued to have the breakfast burritos a few days this week, but I had some more cheat meals on account of the community gathering and my general level of stress and anxiety standing in the way of being proactive. If any of you have some go-to meal prep ideas that work great for moms on the go, I’d love to hear them!
New Look And Feel For Boothopia
I refreshed the look of my blog! What do you think? I personally am in love with it! I am also getting more familiar with Canva and it’s premium services like creating branding styles that allow me to be consistent in graphic design.
I got my theme from Restored316. The designer, Lauren, has a selection of beautiful, feminine themes that seem to work really well. I think I’ll stick with this theme for a long time! I enjoyed my last theme as well but in the end I felt like it didn’t quite have the right feel for my blog. I think this one suits me better.
- Continue to meal prep for breakfasts and lunches
- Clean the condo in preparation for having a real estate agent come by to have a look. We’re going to put it on the market again soon so that we can hopefully move into a place with three bedrooms. It’ll just be so much nicer to have a place for guests to stay, and maybe that’ll be motivation for people to come visit us instead of it always being the other way around *wink wink*.
- Go to bed at 10:30 every night. Lil’ Ziggy usually goes to sleep around 8 p.m. (after rehashing his whole day to his stuffed dog, Baby Puppy, for about half an hour). My evening from there generally looks an awful lot like me sitting on the couch with my ipad while Chris plays a video game, then we both go to bed at midnight and I’m exhausted the next day. It’s a bad habit and it has to change.
- Continue to be ruthless in my closet purging. I already have a decent pile of donatables and throw-outables, but I still have clothing in storage under my bed that desperately requires attention.
- Go outside for a walk every day. Now that the weather is finally getting nicer, I’d like to take Lil’ Ziggy out for a short walk after dinner each evening. It would definitely be good for both of us.
What are YOUR goals for May?
Shared on this week’s Link Parties: